Red Deer Event - Cancelled due to low enrollment. Sorry. Emotional Regulation Workshop
Time & Location
About The Event
Registration starts at 8:30 a.m. at which time you can sign in, receive your receipt, and your handout package. The workshop will begin at 9:00 a.m.
- Identify the range and function of the types of harm to self (e.g. cutting, under/over eating, engaging in high-risk situations, burning oneself).
- Distinguish between suicide threat and self-injury and when it is a fad versus the adoption of a coping mechanism.
- Describe, in client friendly terms, how self-harm has roots in poor regulation of the nervous system (e.g. the amygdala is easily hijacked promoting defense responses such as fight, flee, and freeze actions), poor tolerance of affect states, and faulty belief systems that limit insight and cognitive reflection. Includes a description of the cycle of self-injury.
- List the guiding principles of treatment: (a) the 4C approach to respond to “I cut myself” or to a similar disclosure such as binging, (b) a Bill of Rights for those who harm themselves on purpose, and (c) when involving the parents.
- Describe how the ABC model can be used to debrief a disclosure of harming behaviour and how this process can invite motivation to change.
- Describe strategies to assess/treat cutting and other skin wounding actions.
- Explore a variety of rich and diverse interventions, following an ABC framework, to decrease clients’ dependence on self-harm actions and to increase their ability to identify and process their thoughts, feelings, and actions. For example, we will explore extensive expressive art therapies, the use of metaphors and props to promote pendulation and titration regulation, and how the 3B wheel can be used to promote cognitive awareness.
- Explain why some clients are triggered by mindfulness including when attention is made to their breath.
- Details are provided under the registration tab.
- Coffee, tea, and snacks will be provided throughout the day.
- Lunch is provided through a catering service. Please advise of food allergies to Jarvis when registration is made.
- Parking is free for the workshop.
- Receipts and handouts will be provided at the start of the workshop.
- Cancellation policy: Refunds (minus $5 processing fee) will be issued if an email requesting withdraw from the workshop is dated at least 10 days before the start of the workshop. Refunds will not be offered after this date. If we cancel the workshop due to low enrollment, a full refund will be issued on or before the day of the workshop.
** Early bird registration: $125.00 plus taxes (11%) = $138.75 if payment is received before April 3, 2019. Fee includes lunch.
** Regular registration: $140.00 plus taxes (11%) = $155.40 for all payments on/after April 4, 2019. Fee includes lunch.
** A 10% discount is offered for a group registration for 6 or more people. Please contact our DPS Business Manager, Jarvis Larson (his contact information is below) to receive an invoice for the group registration. Thank you.
Questions: Please contact DPS Business Manager: Mr. J. Larson.
- Mobile: 403-332-3600
- Email: DPS.firstname.lastname@example.org