WORKSHOP CONFIRMED - Beyond the Suicide Assessment: Helping Those Who Are Struggling
Time & Location
About The Event
Are you eligible to take this professional development workshop?
- This workshop is ONLY for those who have taken at least one training in suicide assessment/prevention because this workshop is NOT about teaching: (a) what suicide is, (b) how do a suicide risk assessment, or (c) standard suicide prevention strategies.
- This workshop is focused on how to work with those who have already been assessed to be at risk for suicide, and they are not eligible to be admitted for psychiatric in-patient care.
- Ideally, for ease of learning, it might be best to take this workshop after you have taken Dr. Dawn's emotional regulation workshop.
- This workshop will not address self-harm, mass suicide, or beliefs systems that support taking one’s life as a sign of self-sacrifice.
- Examine the psychological needs that are often associated with those who chronically reside in a state of not wanting to live (but are not actively at high risk for completing suicide).
- Discuss how these underlying motives can be addressed in treatment in a way that is respectful of an already overwhelmed nervous system.
- Examine the challenges and psychological toll workers’ encounter when working with high-risk clients (e.g. triggering, rescuing, and withdrawal actions).
- Discuss how standard risk factors for suicide may be misleading.
- Identify various strategies to help the worker stay calm and grounded when managing high "red or very low "blue" energy from a client and how the worker’s mirror neurons can be used to help the client.
- Describe at least 8+ creative intervention strategies that may be helpful in reducing the client’s chronic need to consider suicide. Practice at least 3+ of these intervention strategies.
- Identify ethically sound documentation practices when working with those who report chronic suicide concerns.
- Offer open time to process, debrief, and problem solve unique situations involving suicide threats.
BONUS self-care time: A Registered Massage Therapist will be on site to offer chair massages for a $1 a minute (up to 15 mins).
Refunds: A full refund is available if requested via email on/before December 21, 2018; minus a $3 processing fee. FYI: If the workshop has to be cancelled due to lack of registrants, full refunds will be sent on/before the day of the workshop.
Questions: Please contact DPS Business Manager: Mr. Jarvis Larson
- Mobile: 403-332-3600
- Email: DPS.email@example.com
Registration starts at 8:30 a.m., where you can sign in, receive your receipt and handout package. The workshop will begin at 9:00 a.m.