Supervision Services: For Those Who Are In
Training To Become A Psychologists (CAP)
Please refer to the CONSULTATION tab if you are NOT seeking CAP related supervision.
Congratulations for getting to the stage where you are ready for CAP supervision. Supervision is a true gift ... for yourself and your clients.
I practice supervision from a developmental perspective and encourage you to seek out my writings on the topic. My supervision (and my consultation style) is to help you identify and reinforce what you are doing well as well as invite you to take your skill set to a higher level.
Benefits to supervision with me include, but not limited to:
refining your counselling skills,
helping you practice even more ethically,
enhancing your case conceptualization skills,
expanding your professional competencies,
training you in new approaches/interventions,
inviting you to engage in deeper personal awareness and growth with your personal therapist, and perhaps
helping you avoid counsellor burnout, compassion fatigue, and vicarious traumatization.
Some Highlights (& Benefits) of CAP Supervision with Me:
I have an informed consent form for you to review - it highlights our mutual roles and responsibilities as well as your rights.
I am very structured when offering supervision –this is not coffee time- as you deserve to have the session very focused on you and your clients:
I will provide you with the agenda template, and you are welcome to modify it to fit your style.
I aim to be available to you 24/7, assuming I am accessible, for emergencies such as debriefing a serious client incident or being served with a subpoena.
I will offer you, in my role as your CAP supervisor, four roles: teacher, consultant, evaluator, and a facilitator of self-growth.
We will use recordings (video and audio) in CAP supervision whenever possible. I will help you make this a comfortable experience for you and your clients.
I will review your counselling files and outgoing client letters to help you refine your documentation skills.
We will meet for supervision on a semiregular basis, but the time, method, and frequency of sessions may fluctuate given my availability.
Some Not So Good Things, Perhaps, About CAP Supervision With Dr. Dawn
1. Discovering that my style of supervision, or my availability, is not a fit for you.
2. Experiencing discomfort being supervised. I address this topic more in my informed consent for supervision. We will also explore how we can ensure your 'safety' while being vulnerable in your learning.
3. Needing to spend time revising and/or creating professional client (and supervisee) forms and other relevant paperwork that promote a high degree of ethical and transparent service. This process may delay your ability to start to count CAP hours.
4. Having to pay for supervision when your funds may be tight.
5. Taking the time and making the effort to prepare for supervision sessions when your time may already be limited.
6. Having clients (and supervisees if relevant) refuse to give consent for you to receive supervision regarding their case. As a result, you will need to refer these individuals to another counsellor/agency since you are only allowed to work with clients/supervisees who give consent for you to access full CAP supervision.
Fees for CAP Supervision - Sliding Scale
Before we "officially" start supervision together, I like to connect (at no charge to you) so we can have the opportunity to each other questions, iron out details, and ensure we are a good fit.
FOR CAP SUPERVISION -1: If you work in non-profit and are not being funded in any way to pay for your CAP supervision, you are invited to select what you pay me for my time and expertise – based on what you can afford and believe is fair to pay on a scale rate: $65/hr. to $120/hr.
If You Would LIke To Start College of Alberta Supervision ...
I welcome your contact - please contact me by using the contact me tab or by sending me an email (if you have my email address). I look forward to talking with you (usually over the phone) to discuss your needs and my availability. I will be happy to answer your questions and help you with your supervision plan for CAP. I have many examples to share.